Friday, November 11, 2016

Performing Arts Day - the end of Primary 1

As part of a holistic education, K's school encourages arts and performances beyond academics. The school is pretty good at gymnastics and ballet, and in the past few months, K has come home telling us about her 'ballet classes' during PE... which is part of the lead-up to performing for the school's 'Arts Day'.


Primary 1 Arts Day 2016
It's pretty cool, and I appreciate the efforts that the teachers put in for rehearsals and training the children. It's performed by levels (I know that P2 has their own, not sure if this is the case all the way up to P6), and each class performs 3 segments.


Through this performance, I learn (unsurprisingly) that K loves to perform. She likes to dance and be on stage (while acting coy that she's terrified - and while I do think she gets nervous, I think she loves the limelight/attention and performance adrenaline!). She comes back with tales of how her rehearsals went, how she is annoyed by friends who 'XX went the wrong way and it will ruin everything!', and how much she enjoys practising and is yet worried 'Mommy, I cannot do this u'noe' - then proceeds to launch into the segment, self-practising.


I pulled in 2 supporters to join me at the performance


First performance, English speech & drama - The Candy Man
(terrible pic I know, K is in brown in the middle row, 2nd from the left)
2nd performance, Chinese speech & drama - here, she is a firefly.
(Pic taken by another parent who obviously grabbed a better spot than me)
Paying attention
3rd and last performance - ballet.
This is the finale and that's K right in the middle!
As a parent, I just felt thrilled to see my girl on stage, but more importantly, know that she enjoyed herself. I also felt proud that she revelled in performing, it's a great experience to be on stage and many lessons she can take out - from the hard work that needs to be put in at rehearsals, the discipline to learn and master the acts... and the lovely pay-out and sense of fulfilment. I'm glad that she's being exposed to it all.


And with this performance, she ends the school year on a high. We received her report book and she did pretty well. I am proud of her grades, and while there are definitely areas of improvement (namely, instances like this), I think we all fared pretty fine for the year. It's been a year of learning for all of us, in terms of juggling new challenges, routines and ready or not, here comes Primary 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment