Thursday, July 21, 2016

K teaches me a lesson, and our new morning routine

From January to May 2016, our family endured very early hours with K (truly, everyone at home is involved in one way or other) as she caught the school bus to school. She woke up at 5.15am and after 5 months, we did get into a decent routine.
However, several factors made me decide to switch things because while the routine worked, it wasn't truly the best. Sleep (& in turn a less cranky child) still seemed a priority, so I made the decision to take matters into my own time (literally) and for the past few weeks since school started this 3rd term, I have been sending K to school on my own, via public transport.


So now, here's our routine:
By 6am: K wakes up and starts her morning by changing into her uniform/ breakfast
By 6.15am: I am awake and start stumbling about the house. I'll wash up and change and pack my things and start nagging her to keep chewing her breakfast and remind her of the time
6.35-6.45am: we leave home.
We take a short and brisk stroll from our home to the train station.
10-12 minutes later: we reach the MRT station
Approx 20 minutes later: we reach Stevens MRT station & trot a short road across the road (2 small road crossings with a gazillion cars)
By 7.15am: we reach school - say our goodbyes and off she goes


This new routine has added two bouts of goodness, both of the same quantity:
1) additional 45 minutes of sleep compared to previous routine (from 5.15am to 6am)
2) additional 45 minutes of time together with my princess (our commute from home to school)


While there are mornings where I need to nag more (K is a talented slowpoke), we have whines about loose teeth that hinders chewing, a girl who doesn't pack her bag properly & the list goes on... I think this new routine is working out pretty well. Weather is a big factor and it's typically pretty good weather, but it was pissing rain yesterday morning but thankfully the husband sent her; and today it was drizzling but we made it fine with an umbrella.


So that's our regular routine, and there are some implications which is my morning work-out time (which I am still experimenting now); and time with J (which I try to increase at night time) but truly, all is pretty good. Let's keep going and see how this continues!
So this morning was one of those slower than regular slowpoke kinda days (some days are better, some are worse) - and I was quite irritated. I'll nag her, urge her, even nudge her lightly to get her mooooooving. It did not help that it was drizzling and the train was slightly delayed, heightening my stress that we may be late for school!
We did make it on time, albeit a little later than 7.15am. On the short stroll to school, she had to take an umbrella - I watched this girl, unfrazzled by my incessant nagging, disregarding all care in the world as she twirled her umbrella, did light steps into puddles and hum a tune I couldn't make out.


In that moment, I smiled. My heart did a little blip as I watched her, and marvelled at her innocence. Yes, my girl can be whiney, she can be sluggish, but she is also the sweetest, good-natured, easy-going child.
This morning, she taught me a lesson of being yourself, and being happy because life is more than schedules. I love that I had this insight to her, and of how I ought to learn a lesson from her to take a chill pill.







Random pics I have snapped of her - she's always this smiley! :)
Thank you baby K for teaching me to just live a little. I love you baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment