Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Perth: Day 5, Heathcote Park and Elizabeth Quay

Today marked the last day we were spending with our hosts. We had imposed on them through the weekend and they were so kind as to have taken leave to spend with us to play, and since the household was going back to regular routine (kids to school and adults at work), we figured having some time of our own will work for everyone. On this last morning, the kids awoke and as always, played with one another quite happily. By this day, they had gotten very used to having breakfast (cereal, bread, whatnots) and playing with one another. I loved how they truly got along and were chums.

It was this morning that I got annoyed with the husband. It was not fault of his truly, but I was cranky having to hang the laundry all by myself on top of packing and re-packing the kids and their mess all day and night. It's a small matter only, but I am putting it down on record that on this occasion, I was the smaller person who got easily annoyed over a tiny matter and while the husband dished a line to me that was not entirely pleasant, we did not allow this moment to combust. I felt at this point that I was the only mindful person who was consciously picking up - clothes, jackets, socks, shoes, and it felt highly annoying to do so after 2 little ones - whom I felt was not listening to me. Cue psycho-mom music. I know, it's a holiday and I should just relax but I felt that we were creating a huge mess just by our presence and the least I can do is to neaten the mess we created! Anyhow, I believe this was the only occasion too that we had a tze moment, so not too bad at all.

So, pettiness aside, we decided upon Chinese food for lunch, and arranged for takeaway before we headed to Heathcote Park at Applecross. On the drive over, someone pretty much knocked out for a quick power nap.

Giggles at this tired boy
I have never been there before and it was the most perfect place for a picnic to spend our afternoon! There was an amazing playground shaped in the form of a pirate ship with slides and swings, poles and little crannies that allowed the children to play catch, hide-and-seek... and simply run amok on the structures. Loved it!

Picnic - that's Swan River behind us



Lovely weather - cool winds that cooled us, sun rays that warmed us





HAHA

We bumped into K's classmate!
The Seahs at Applecross, Perth; 13 Jun 2016

I truly had an enjoyable time at the picnic. The atmosphere was relaxed, the kids were laughing and playing, the adults were hanging around chatting under this amazing blanket of blue skies... how fortunate that we had this time to relax and enjoy this way.

After a couple of hours, we decided to head to Elizabeth Quay, since we were relatively near the city already. It's a fairly new refurbishment by the water, on the other side of Swan River. So off we went for (another) pint.

Little Z was asleep in her pram

All of us

That night, we all went back to a simple home-made dinner of mee sua. It was super tasty! The kids were also constantly reminded to go to bed early because the kids had school the next day, and that we would be saying goodbye. I know they felt sad and we consoled them that we would be meeting them for sure in the near future.

That night, the husband and I were also the last ones to go to bed, since there was also work the next day. It was a quiet affair that night. It's also apt that I post this below pic to capture the reality of travel while trying to keep our belongings in a good state - laundry!

Life. This is also the room that kept us comfortable for 5 nights.
On this Monday evening, the husband and I also made a quick trip to the supermarkets to get some Tim Tams that I wanted to get. I'm glad we did it, because we never got another chance to visit a supermarket again! I also remember how, on the stroll to the shops, that I told the husband quite happily that 'we still have another week before work starts!' - and that's how life is. You treasure these moments of being together and build upon the memory banks... and today, 2 weeks later since that day that the husband and I were strolling hand-in-hand, I still remember how cold the winds felt against my face, how I stuck my hand into my jacket pockets to keep them warm, and how the husband was by my side. The children were home - happy to be left there without us - and safe in the comfort of a lovely home, with their new-found companions, with no worries nor care. Little moments, little precious moments are what we should remember because it's these moments that compose our life.

And on this pensive note, I think back on our travels on flying off, day 1, day 2, day 3 and day 4. Blessed am I!


No comments:

Post a Comment