Sunday, June 26, 2016

Perth, Day 3: Dimsum, Carousel and our personal home-concert

Saturday morning rolled along cold but bearable. After a few days of being in Perth, we have all gotten used to the temperature. While it is cold in the night, I got smarter about layering our pyjamas and in the daytime, when the sun is up, it's all really pleasant. For this day, we had planned simple activities only. 

While the kids played in the backyard and I had my coffee perk-me-up (drinking coffee in a cold place just makes it taste so much better!), the two fathers went for a run. By the time they came back, we all got ready to head out for brunch.

All ready to fill our tummies

On the menu was dimsum - we followed our hosts to their surburban option of a yumcha house where we indulged in plates and plates of dimsum. It all pretty much tasted like home, except that some portions were non-Asian-sized (i.e. very big). We left just as the little restaurant was filling up with lunch-goers. 

We then split from our friends and headed to the mall. We headed to the surburban mall Carousel - this mall was brand new when I was in Perth 16 years ago, and while it felt somewhat familiar, I had forgotten most of it. Our first stop was a lazy sit-down for coffee for the husband and I, while the children self-entertained at a little indoor playground right by the cafe. The husband and I then split ways so that we could leisurely shop on our own. It was this afternoon that I managed to do a spot of shopping - very pleased that I got very economical pack-buys (underwear and socks) for K. I didn't have time to buy any for J and I thought I'd get around to another Target on another day (never got around to it, unfortunately). I also had the chance to eat my favourite local cake from Ms Mauds'. After being cooped indoors for several hours, we felt ready to be in the outdoors before the sun went down. We thought of going to a park, but decided to head home to let the children meet with their friends (they kept asking for them as if we had not seen them for yonks). The children ended up playing by the house while I took the chance to go for a run around the hood.

Tricycles, mini vehicles in the cul de sac
After indulging in food the past few days, it felt good to move my body. The perspiration took a while to crack through the pores, and the body needed more time to feel warmed up, but perspire and warm I felt by the 15th minute mark. I don't know the distance I clocked, but I ran for about 40 minutes which felt heavenly. It was about 5pm when I started and by the time I was done, it was just about sunset. I came home all happy, and saw the kids playing with one another. I also came home to a husband who was unwell. He'd been complaining about creaky knees since the night before and by this time, he was in pain. 

Dinner plans for the night was a BBQ at home, so after chef T prepared most of the meat and grill, he brought the husband to a nearby clinic for consultation. While the boys were out, the mommies fed and bathed the children, and waited for the men to be back. We finished our nicely-grilled dinner (with home-made corn mash and potato salad) then watched in amusement as the children made a big fuss over a ladybird that they found.

Examining the ladybird (that was on the piece of paper)
That evening, we settled in the activity room and chanced upon a home concert. It started off innocently with the children singing and prancing about, and when T started playing songs off his speakers, the children ended up 'performing' for the adults. It was hilarious and very adorable to watch them play so innocently and simply - no fuss, no pains, just plain simple play. 

Our budding stars
A funny moment - sheer happiness!
Our nightcap for this evening was quite tame, as the husband was on his medication and could not drink too much, but it was still a nice short session as we finished off the night and felt all happy from the lovely day that we enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment