Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Mornings with this big girl

The year truly feels real when there are 6am wake-up calls to start the day.
It's even more real when the all-familiar strains hit home - homework, packing, routine (oh the amount of nagging), scheduling (I have a master excel - yes, excel to document and lay down the timings and routines per day!) and situations that arise (bad traffic = K was late on day 1, oops; tantrums when a child is tired from lack of sleep; lying about use of pocket money - oh boy...)
I wish to stay positive though, so here's listing the great stuff:
1. It's so much easier to get onto a routine that pre-existed.
Even though there was a break, the fact that we had done it before made going back a lot easier. K's pretty much on auto-pilot which is such a relief!
2. K and I have a nice time together in the mornings.
True, we have grumpy moments (did I mention the nagging already?!) but through my personal experience of being able to go to work with my mother, I learn that just being able to see each other and spend time together amidst our long work-days is such a blessing.
3. K shares funny tales.
Sometimes, I get a glimpse of what goes on in her little head - such moments are rare, because the time we have together is mostly used for mundane but necessary things like homework, eating, routine... being idle on the way with her allows for a small window of nothingness, which actually is so much more than that.
4. K and I get to hold hands.
This may sound pretty small and silly, but I love holding hands with the children. To feel their little hand in mine, to be able to reach out and give a cuddle, to have them reach out to hold mine - it's so simple, yet loving.
5. Being a less needy parent/ grooming a more independent child.
When we first started on this routine, I walked every single step alongside K. I'd drop her off at the last possible spot before psycho loving parents are disallowed to stalk walk with their child. At K's request, we started to say our goodbye's a little further from school and so in Q4 last year, we said goodbye outside the school compound. This year, the girl requested for an even further goodbye spot and I agreed. I spy on her until she goes out of sight and (to my utmost exasperation),  she still doesn't always turn around to wave goodbye! Haha!


My big baby
After I send her off, I head to do my own thing. Am trying to get back to the work-out regime, and hopefully will get my engines running smoothly in no time.
Hello, 2017!

1 comment:

  1. Hi June, I am Veena from Brand Incorporated. We are a lifestyle PR agency that works with many parenting bloggers, and we are looking to add you to our media contact list. Could you provide me with your email and contact number? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete