Thursday, August 18, 2016

#project3007 - my baby sister gets hitched!



This day has been in planning for yonks, since their lovely and touching proposal in the air. I observed (and helped, some) as the family buzzed with busy-ness and excitement, with things big and small, as they all worked towards the goal of #project3007.


Come actual day, the kids were so excited they got up when the skies were still dark. I cracked my lids open and the time read 6am. *groans I distracted them with TV and breakfast, and we all got a move on an hour later.


At 8am, we made it to the house and I was so happy and excited to see my little sister all dolled up! She looked amazing, like a pretty princess and the house was filled with happiness as aunts and uncles huddled in the home to eat, chat and make merry.


My 3 favourite moments of the morning:


1) Witnessing my sister break down in tears while reading a card written to her by B.
The sister loves gifting (and receiving) and I am not at all surprised when they decided to create this exchange between them on this special day of theirs. To hear the loving words crafted by B was very touching and shows a side of him that I seldom see (he's usually goofy).
2) Witnessing my parents and sister break down in tears during veiling.
Touching moment between them 3
I know my parents felt mixed feelings on this happy occasion, yet wistful that their baby of the family has grown up. Very poignant and as a parent today, I truly get the bond and feelings more. I know my parents feel very proud of their beautiful baby girl and am over the moon for this happy reunion.
3) Witnessing how much fun the groom and his groomsmen had while gate-crashing.
To say that they were having a party specially organised just for them is an understatement. Gotta love their sporting attitudes and spirits! Well done, boys!





FAMILY!
(Hadn't realised it until today that we were all colour-co-ordinated! Totally unplanned #telepathic)
After an enjoyable gate-crashing session, we proceeded to the groom's house, then back to mom's house again for our tea ceremony. No pics were taken during this time, I hope there are nice pics captured by the professional camera.
After lunch, there was some time and I sent the kids home to nap while I prepared to head to the dinner venue earlier for some hair & make-up pampering. During this time, I was trying to concoct my speech.

About this speech - the sister had told me some time ago that I was a segment in their programme. I loved that I was - very honoured - but for some reason, I could not seem to craft it properly. I blame work and plenty of distractions, but I operate on feelings and without being in the right mood, everything that I drafted seemed crap! I was getting annoyed, slightly panicky. The sister and I even had a conversation about this, where she jokingly said, 'is ok, you can do it on the day.'
Well, what do you know? I did end up doing that. It's all the things that made it possible, such as the details of the beautiful night - from the tiny details at dinner venue, the beautiful people at the wedding...
Amazing effort to create labels for guests



Lovely march-in of the father of the bride, with the bride




Siblings! - without the couple

Seahs

Hiao-ing by myself
After snapping pics and observing a touching solemnisation ceremony, I was definitely in the right mood. The random paragraphs I crafted over the past weeks that didn't do it for me, started to fall in place. I wrote new lines, edited existing ones, shifted the sequence of my thoughts... and finally, finally had something I was happy with. While rehearsing, the sister crashed into the room. Ok, HER room.


I love you baby girl
It was a chance meeting meant to be, because it turned out to be the only picture I had with the sister that night, in that little changing area. I left to let her rest and get pretty, while I found another corner to continue practising my speech. I'm happy to say that the result was great! I was happy sharing my love of the couple with everyone present, and I was so proud to be the big sister.

Some pics from the rest of the night:



Handsome page boy



Pretty flower girl



Pic of us, the original 3




Proud papa and grandma

The brother and the sis-in-law


J, sharing his love


2nd march in - look at the lovely gown!



More lovingly crafted details - the kids are on the programme! Almost famous.
The evening was fun-filled, light-hearted, slightly muggy but otherwise great weather. The food was tasty, the guests were appropriately rowdy... all in all, it was a fun and happy night. Nothing could be more fitting for this lovely couple, and I am so pleased and proud of how they managed to work out their issues through their courtship and arrived at this milestone. It's the start of a beautiful journey ahead as a unit of two and I know it'd be an amazing journey ahead!



Congratulations you two! Lots of love...





1 comment: