Monday, June 6, 2016

K's 1st Parent-Teacher Session - primary 1

A couple of weeks ago, I attended the first parent-teacher session organised by the school. It's the first session in K's Primary School and after 5+ months of hard work put in by everyone (by everyone, I do mean tutors, parents, teachers, and the child too), I was looking forward to going to school to find out how things are going.

Honestly, based on the regular work progress, I am aware that K is doing fair. By fair, I mean that she is not scoring 100% always, and she is weak in select areas; failing especially in Chinese. Since March, we have enrolled her in additional Mandarin classes to help her cope better. The results are creeping up slowly. Is she doing excellent now? Not yet, but and I seek comfort that she is making improvements.


Waiting for our turn, outside her classroom



The first thing we did upon entry was an unrehearsed Q&A segment that the teacher led. The questions were normal ones, asking K what she did previously etc, and my heart was all fluttery from observing my child. K lacks confidence and to see her trying in front of her teacher makes me so proud. I wish she could be less inhibited (she has become increasingly so as she grows older) and the husband and I have discussed and are thinking of ways we can help boost her confidence. She is an intelligent and interesting character but she has so much more growing up to do and I do hope that we help her become her own little person.

In summary, this little girl can do better, and I hope that we are giving her sufficient support. She is definitely doing well on the social front, forming friendships with her friends and I know this through stories she shares of/with her friends.

I hope that by the end of this first year, she will become more disciplined in doing her homework on her own accord, and be ready to take on more - the teacher has said that she will be stricter in the 2nd half of the year; no more playtime! The settling period is over once the June holidays are over.

Onward we surge.

Little missy

No comments:

Post a Comment