Tuesday, June 3, 2014

21.1 kilometres - 31 May

So, half a year ago, I decided to sign up for my second half-marathon. It was a calculated decision; one that was motivated by peers (a bunch of us signed up for it together) plus the fact that I wanted to do it again after my last half-marathon run.

I've been doing good, consistent training the first half of the year and I think that it's all paid off.

Pre-run. 
My colleagues and I - the halfers

So the run was pretty... good, generally. The first 10km was playing catch-up and clearing through the crowds. The husband led me through the crowds and we did a good job clearing through the first 3km (Nicoll Highway), and the route along the stretch of Tanjong Rhu was quite dangerous because while we were trying to cut through crowds, we had to run along the grass-path and I was pretty worried that I'd fall into a hole in the ground (thank goodness that didn't happen). Besides the rocky path, I think that's a part of the route that's really scenic. We were running along Tanjong Rhu, on the opposite side of Kallang Stadium and it was really beautiful. It also got pretty breezy at this juncture and we were running along a nice, straight, long path.

Then the route got a bit rocky, literally. From 10km to 13km, we were led into a construction area and there was gravel, rocks and poor lighting. It was not great. I was again worried that I'd fall. By this time (10km), there'd been about 3-4 water stations and I have stopped at each of them; but I started feeling rather full from the water in my belly. Maybe it was the cool weather too, but I felt clammy. My legs also started to ache and I knew that it's from the lack of long-distances during my training. It was also at this mark that I bade farewell to my partner-runner, the husband. I charged ahead while he said he'd catch-up.

The run ahead was quite a trial. I alternated water points because I felt uncomfortable from the water and slightly nauseous. My legs kept going but were achey. 14km was horrifying - there was a hill up the ECP *inserts puke face

I walked up the slope. It was a slow, trudge up. The winds were nice and breezy though.

It was 15km at the top of the expressway and it was nice and cool and I started to jog again. The scenery was beautiful here too. So pretty (on the top of the ECP between Suntec City and Singapore Flyer where you can see the Barrage and waters and all the pretty lights of the skyscrapers) that I contemplated taking a selfie. But I did not. I ploughed on and continued to run.... we ran down the ECP and looped around the Marina bend towards MBS. The last 3-4km were a pain. Not that literally (oh, my achey legs) but I was getting tired. We did a bend around MBS, past and around the promontory which was pretty boring because there wasn't much to see... and also because I was tired. I wished there were more gel stations for my achey legs; I remember applying some before this point in the Stanchart Run and it seemed to help.

I pushed through to turn the bend at the Esplanade and past the floating platform, around the bend to run beneath the Benjamin Sheares Bridge and finally, finally reached the finishing line.

Nope, am not purchasing this image but using it nonetheless. I WAS EUPHORIC!
Crossing the finishing line, for real!
Not a great picture, but the net time is 2:13:43.

I felt so awesome, truly. But so tired. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

And just because, I needed to do this. YEAHHHH!

This was my phone capture running with my Nike app. I felt like crying the third time we looped about the &%^!*$ Singapore Flyer.

I'm proud of myself. For the consistent training I've been doing, for the good shape that I'm in. I'm happy how running has kept me sane and for pushing myself to do decently well in this run. I shaved off 10minutes from my last half-marathon and I did not stop except to drink at the hydration stations and to move up that hill. Besides that, I kept at my run and pushed myself.

Well done, me! #feelingsokickassgoodaboutmyself

No comments:

Post a Comment